Blog Archive

19/03/2013

David Carson (Research)

Hello my Graphic Designers ;) 

Today I want to show you my research that I have done for my "Typography" project I'm doing right now at the college. Typography is not the best area I'm specialize for, but I've learned a lot of practical research about D.Carson who is Graphic Designer specializing in Typography and his career history. To be honest with you guys I'm not his fan at all, but I'm trying to understand his perspective for his designs and imagination, and what I have notice is that he always puts his own name on his posters every time is possible. To me its a bit too much, of course everyone knows his name but I don't really know what is the real story behind his typography name. I've read that his career history is so long and when I'm reading his interviews I see his passion inside his mind and I feel like he was born to become famous Graphic Designer since the beginning.
Here I've found of the web some useful information about him, his career and him-self (including pictures of his works.)




Interestingly enough, Davis Carson, born in 1955 in Texas, did not go to school to become a graphic designer. His degree is in sociology from San Diego Sate University; far from the realm of art. In the 1970s, Carson worked as a sociology teacher at a California high school. He also dabbled in professional surfing, ranking 9th in the world. His formal training in graphic design came from brief 2 to 3 week classes he took at the University of Arizona and in Switzerland in the 1980s. This is when he discovered his talent.


Throughout the 1980s and 90s, Carson was a major influential force behind skateboarding and surfing magazines and campaigns. Such magazines included Beach Culture, Transworld Skateboarding, and Self and Musician. The work he did at these venues brought him notice and further opportunities for his innovative grunge style and typographic oddities to flourish. Publisher Marvin Scott Jarrett was impressed with Carson’s work and hired him to design a music and lifestyle oriented magazine called Ray Gun. His work in Ray Gun magazine brought him even more fame and reputation. So when he started his own design firm, David Carson Design, in 1995, he soon had accounts with major companies including Ray Ban, Microsoft, and Pepsi.









Carson says he is most interested in the emotion of design. There is an emotional response to the design piece that the viewer experiences before they even read the text or figure out what is trying to be sold or promoted. He went on to publish a number of books detailing his work including “The End of Print: The Graphic Deisgn of David Carson,” “2nd Sight,” and “Fotografiks: An Equilibrium Between Photography and Design Through Graphic Expression That Evolves from Content.” 

Carson travels frequently, giving speeches and seminars about his work and graphic design as a whole. One such speech, “David Carson on Design + Discovery,” was recorded and posted on www.ted.com, where he talks about the importance of intuitive design. Carson expresses how schools are shying away from teaching design through intuition because it is difficult to “quantify” intuition. In this video he elaborates about the importance of intuition by examining a quote by Albert Einstein: “The intellect has little to do on the road to discovery. 


2 comments:

  1. Terrific work! That is the kind of information that are meant to be shared across the net. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and seek advice from my site . Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you wish for to grow your knowledge simply keep visiting this website and be updated with the latest news update posted here.

    ReplyDelete